Ilm Academy dedicates itself to providing its students with quality academic education in an Islamic environment and through an Islamic perspective in each discipline. We understand and take very seriously our role in shaping our students’ identity, expanding their knowledge base, and providing them with the skills, motivation, and interest needed for lifelong learning. Furthermore, the school is the foundation upon which we hope to build a living Islamic community that adheres to the Qur’an and Sunnah.
Ilm Academy strongly believes in the process of engaging students with the goal of making the learning process relevant to their lives. Our academic program looks at the whole child and directs his/her intellectual, social, emotional, spiritual, and physical development
ILM Academy K-8th Grade Curricula:
Although Quran/Deenyat and Islamic studies have always been an integral part of the school curriculum at every grade level from the start, Ilm Academy took a giant leap forward towards establishing itself as a full time academic/Islamic school, by the grace of Allah (swt), by introducing the Quran Pre-Hifz program at the start of the new school year 2015.
The program was initiated through Ilm Academy’s partnership with the Iqra Hifz Program offered by the Iqra School. Due to the success of this program, the academic year 2016-17 was also the start of a full time Hifz program at Ilm Academy.
- Providing students with strong communication and writing skills.
- A rigorous phonics program in Kindergarten with the goal towards confident readership from a young age.
- Integrating listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills at the 1st and 2nd grades through age-appropriate literature and basic skills instructions augmented with vocabulary, grammar, phonics, and spelling enrichment.
- Specific emphasis on writing traits that encourage children to express themselves through writing.
Ilm Academy introduces the Singapore Math program from grades K- 8. The program is carefully selected based on the following considerations:
- Emphasis on the development of strong number sense, excellent mental math skills, and a deep understanding of place value.
- Progression from concrete experience— using manipulatives—to a pictorial stage and finally to the abstract level or algorithm. This sequence gives students a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts and relationships before they start working at the abstract level.
- A strong emphasis on model drawing; a visual approach to solving word problems that helps students organize information and solve problems in a step-by step manner.
- Mastery of concepts that are later revisited but not re-taught. The Singapore approach focuses on developing students who are problem solvers.
ILM Academy focuses on fostering an understanding and appreciation of the scientific method. The K to elementary grades makes a special use of an inquiry-based scientific program. This provides students with a hands-on, experimental approach that gives them a deep understanding of scientific principles. They learn to appreciate the use of science in a manner that makes the subject fun and its projects more engaging.
ILM Academy’s social studies program recognizes the critical importance of identity and community in creating a strong self-esteem and confidence. Students are provided a strong grounding in map and research skills, are made aware of the importance of geography and history, and are geared toward an appreciation of diversity, tolerance, and good citizenship. Students study human interactions in family and community and are provided opportunities to practice higher order thinking skills.
Physical education classes are used to increase the physical competence, health-related fitness, and self-esteem of our students. Students are provided the opportunity to gain leadership and team building skills and gain a lifelong appreciation for the promotion of a healthy lifestyle. Research shows that physically active lifestyles improve the academic achievements of students. Physical education classes are thus given importance in the overall school curriculum.
SAT Testing and Scores
At Ilm Academy, all students are required to take the Standardized Achievement Tests as prescribed by the state standards. The content of the tests is aligned with national and state standards and allows the school to measure its level of competence and achievement in relation with other public/private schools. SAT tests also highlight a student’s strength or weakness in any area so as to aid effective teaching.
All students are required to be present for the SAT testing held in April. If a student misses the entire or some parts of the tests, the test will be considered incomplete and will not be sent for grading.
Since its inception, Ilm Academy’s scores in SAT testing have remained commendably high.